Sunday, October 9, 2011

DeRen Tea Jasmine Oolong, Spring 2100

I finally got around to trying my sample of Jasmine Oolong from DeRen Tea, and I'm sorry to say that I was a bit underwhelmed.

The first infusion

As you can see, it produces a cup of light-to-medium strength oolong, with a pleasant jasmine aroma. The down side is that this tastes exactly like my Yamamotoyama Jasmine Green Tea. It has the same taste, right down to the lingering slightly-bitter after taste. A quick price check showed that it is also a more expensive tea than the YMY jasmine, which is kind of disappointing. The only real benefit that was present was that it was much harder to burn this tea, so it wasn't as bitter, and that it held its flavor longer (about 7 infusions), unlike the YMY tea (5 infusions).

When it's all said done, this is a rather nice tea,  but it is nothing particularly special. For a beginning tea drinker, this is nice because it is easy to prepare, but it's something I don't plan on buying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment